Unit History – 2nd Vermont Infantry

18 07 2022

Cols., Henry Whiting, James H. Walbridge, Newton Stone, John S. Tyler, Amasa S. Tracy; Lieut.-Cols., George J. Stannard, Charles H. Joyce, Newton Stone, John S. Tyler, Amasa S. Tracy, Enoch E. Johnson; Majs., Charles H. Joyce, James H. Walbridge, Newton Stone, John S. Tyler, Amasa S. Tracy, Enoch E. Johnson, Erastus G. Ballou. The 2nd regiment was organized at Burlington and there mustered into the U. S. service for three years on June 20, 1861. It left Burlington for Washington, June 24, and encamped on Capitol hill until July 10, when it was ordered to Bush hill, Va., where it was attached to Howard’s brigade, Heintzelman’s division, with which it fought at Bull Run on July 21. It was next sent to Chain bridge for guard duty along the Potomac, and assisted in the construction of Forts Marcy and Ethan Allen. In September it was formed with the 4th and 5th Vermont regiments into the Vermont brigade (later known on many battle-fields), the 2nd brigade of Smith’s division. Winter quarters were established at Camp Griffin and occupied until March 10, 1862, when the regiment marched to Centerville, thence to Alexandria, where it was ordered to Newport News and participated in the Peninsular campaign. It was in action at Young’s mills, Lee’s mills and Williamsburg. In the organization of the 6th corps, the Vermont brigade, to which had been added the 6th Vt., became the 2nd brigade, 2nd division. From April 13 to May 19, 1862, the brigade was posted at White House landing. On June 26 it shared in the battle of Golding’s farm and in the Seven Days’ battles it was repeatedly engaged. It was ordered to Alexandria and to Bull Run late in August. The corps was not ordered into the battle and was next in action at Crampton’s gap and Antietam in September. It fought at Fredericksburg Dec. 13, 1862, after which winter quarters were established near Falmouth and broken for the Chancellorsville battles in May, where the 6th corps made a gallant charge upon the heights. It fought at Gettysburg, and from Aug. 14 to Sept. 13, 1863, the brigade was stationed in New York to guard against rioting and then rejoined the corps. Winter quarters were occupied with the Army of the Potomac near the Rapidan and a large number of members of the regiment reënlisted. The command continued in the field as a veteran organization and broke camp May 4, 1864, for the Wilderness campaign. On the opening day of the fight at the Wilderness Col. Stone was killed and Lieut.-Col. Tyler fatally wounded. A number of the bravest officers and men perished in the month following, during which the Vermont brigade fought valiantly day after day with wonderful endurance, at the famous “bloody angle” at Spottsylvania, at Cold Harbor and in the early assaults on Petersburg. On July 10 it formed a part of the force ordered to hasten to Washington to defend the city against Gen. Early, and shared in the campaign in the Shenandoah valley which followed the fatiguing marches and counter-marches and the battles of Charles town, Fisher’s hill, Winchester and Cedar creek. During the last named battle the brigade held its ground when it seemed no longer tenable and only withdrew when it was left alone. Returning with the 6th corps to Petersburg in December, it participated in the charge on March 25, 1865, and the final assault April 2, after which it joined in the pursuit of Lee’s army and was active at the battle of Sailor’s creek, April 6, where it is said to have fired the last shot of the 6th corps. The service of the 2nd closed with participation in the grand review of the Union armies at Washington, after which it returned to Burlington. The original members who did not reënlist were mustered out on June 29, 1864, the veterans and recruits at Washington, July 15, 1865. The total strength of the regiment was 1,858 and the loss by death 399, of which number 224 were killed or died of wounds and 175 from other causes. In his well-known work on ‘Regimental Losses,” Col. Fox mentions the 2nd Vt. infantry among the “three hundred fighting regiments” of the Union army.

From The Union Army, Vol. 1, pp. 108-109





Unit History – 5th Maine Infantry

17 07 2022

Cols., Mark H. Dunnell, Nathaniel J. Jackson, Edward A. Scammon, Clark S. Edwards; Lieut.-Cols., Edwin Illsley, William S. Heath, Edward A. Scammon, Clark S. Edwards, Capt. Millett of Co. A; Majs., Samuel C. Hamilton, Edward A. Scammon, Clark S. Edwards, Capt. Millett, A. S. Daggett. This regiment was recruited from the third militia division of the state. It was mustered into the service of the United States on June 24, 1861, and numbered 1,046 men. It was made up entirely of new companies and was raised at a time when a spirit of intense patriotism prevailed throughout the state, so that little exertion was required to fill its ranks. It left Maine for Washington on June 26, fully equipped and armed with Springfield muskets and bayonets. On its way through New York city it was the recipient of a beautiful flag, presented by the loyal sons of Maine there resident. It remained in camp at Meridian Hill, Washington, until July 5, when it commenced its march to the battle – field of Bull Run. During its three years of severe service, it was engaged in eleven pitched battles and eight skirmishes, prior to its participation in the terrible campaign of the Wilderness under Grant. Its list of battles includes First Bull Run, West Point, Gaines’ Mill, Charles City Cross-Roads, Crampton’s Gap, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Salem Heights, Gettysburg, Rappahannock Station, Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House and Cold Harbor. In the battle of Gaines’ Mill the 5th lost 10 killed, 69 wounded and 16 missing, its gallant Col. Jackson was carried wounded from the field and Lieut.-Col. Heath was among the killed. At Rappahannock Station, the regiment was conspicuous for its gallantry, and captured 4 standards of the enemy. The flags were presented to Gen. Meade, who said: “In the name of the army and the country I thank you for the services you have rendered, particularly for the example you have set and which I doubt not on future occasions will be followed and emulated.” In a gallant charge on the enemy’s works at Spottsylvania Court House, more than half of the regiment was lost in crossing an open field subject to a raking fire of canister, but it captured the works, and took 2 flags and a large number of prisoners. In addition to the 6 captured flags, the 5th had the record of taking more men prisoners than it carried on its own rolls. It left the front near Petersburg, June 22, 1864, and started for home, arriving in Portland on the 28th with 216 men, who were mustered out of service, July 27, 1864, the veterans and recruits having been transferred to the 7th Me. During its term of service it had received some 500 recruits.

From The Union Army, Vol. 1, p. 42





Unit History – 4th Maine Infantry

16 07 2022

Col., Hiram G., Berry; Lieut.- Col., Thomas H. Marshall; Maj., Frank S. Nickerson. This regiment was organized for active service May 8, 1861, and was mustered into the United States service on June 15 at Rockland. Co. A (Belfast Artillery), Co. K (Belfast City Grays), and Co. F (Brooks Light Infantry), had formed part of the state militia, but the other companies were without previous experience. The regiment left Rockland for Washington on June 17, and was armed with the Springfield smooth-bore musket. Passing through New York, it was presented with two beautiful flags. It participated in all the important battles of the Army of the Potomac during its three years’ term of service. Gen. Kearney wrote as follows of the conduct of its gallant colonel at Bull Run: “Col. Berry manifested such a genius for war, and such a pertinacity in the fight, as proved him fit for high command.” It is stated that the 4th Me. saved the day at Williamsburg, while at Fair Oaks, White Oak Swamp, Gaines’ Mill, Glendale, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, and on many other bloody fields it rendered magnificent service. The heroic commander of the regiment, Hiram G. Berry, was killed amid the awful carnage of the battle of Chancellorsville, having attained to the rank of major-general and being esteemed one of the most brilliant officers in the service. On June 25, 1864, the regiment arrived in Rockland, its term of service having expired on the 15th, and after being furloughed were mustered out on July 19. It returned under the command of Elijah Walker, who had gone out as captain of Co. B. There were 46 officers in the regiment, including 10 recruits; privates of the original organization, 966; recruits, 513; total, 1,525. Number of officers mustered out, 17; prisoners of war, 2; privates mustered out, 224; prisoners, 37; officers discharged,5; resigned, 41; privates discharged for disability, 366 privates transferred to other commands, 435; officers died of wounds, 14; of disease, 2; privates died of wounds, 139; of disease, 112; privates deserted, 131. Total, 1,525. The number of officers lost by casualties during the service of the regiment was 65; mustered out July 19, 1864, 17; prisoners of war, 2. Total, 84. Thirty-eight officers were promoted from the ranks.

From The Union Army, Vol. 1, pp. 41-42





Unit History – 3rd Maine Infantry

15 07 2022

Col., Oliver 0. Howard; Lieut.-Col., Isaac N. Tucker; Maj., Henry G. Staples. This regiment responded to the first call for troops with promptness and alacrity. It was rendezvoused on the state house grounds at Augusta and was composed mainly of Kennebec lumbermen. The regiment was most fortunate in having for its colonel Oliver 0. Howard, who rose rapidly to the rank of major – general and gained for himself a name distinguished among the nation’s heroes. During the long three years’ service the regiment was successively commanded by Maj. Staples and Capt. Moses B. Lakeman of Co. I, Lieut. Col. Tucker having resigned to become brigade quartermaster. On the resignation of Lieut.-Col. Tucker, Capt. Sampson of Co. D, Capt. Lakeman and Adjt. Burt served as lieutenant-colonel in the order named. Succeeding Henry G. Staples as major were Adjt. Burt and Capt. William C. Morgan. Of the original companies of the regiment Co. A (Bath City Greys) had existed under former militia laws and the others were new organizations. The regiment was mustered into the United States service on June 4, 1861, and left the state for the front the next day. Perhaps no regiment from the state saw more fighting or rendered more distinguished service. From the first battle of Bull Run, until the battle of Cold Harbor, June 3, 1864, the regiment participated in most of the important battles and movements of the Army of the Potomac. The operations of the so – called “Stove- Pipe Artillery” commenced with this regiment. While encamped at Flag Hill, Va., they employed the ruse of mounting a stove- pipe on wheels, and drew 12 shots from the enemy at their cannon. The loss of the 3d in killed and wounded at the battle of Fair Oaks was nearly one-third of the men engaged. It was in this engagement that Sergt.-Maj. F. W. Haskell of Waterville so greatly distinguished himself as to win the commendation of his colonel and of the entire regiment. The 3d gave an excellent account of itself in the battle of Gettysburg. At the close of the second day’s fighting Gen. Sickles declared that, “The little 3d Me. saved the army today.” Its loss at Gettysburg was 113 killed, wounded and missing. On the return of the regiment to Augusta, June 11, 1864, only 17 officers and 176 enlisted men were left to be mustered out. Sixty – four of these men reënlisted , and together with the recruits were transferred to the 17th Me. Not one of the original field and staff officers returned with the regiment and only one of the original captains—the veteran Moses B. Lakeman – who returned in command of the regiment.

From The Union Army, Vol. 1, pp. 40-41





Unit History – Battery D, 2nd U. S. Artillery

14 07 2022

Attached to Wilcox’s Brigade, Heintzelman’s Division, McDowell’s Army of Northeast Virginia, June to August, 1861. Kearney’s Brigade, Division of the Potomac, to October, 1861. Artillery, Franklin’s Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862. Artillery, 1st Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac and Dept. of the Rappahannock, to May, 1862. Artillery, 1st Division, 6th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to May, 1863. Artillery Brigade, 6th Army Corps, to July, 1863. 1st Brigade, Horse Artillery, Army of the Potomac, to August, 1864. Horse Artillery, Army of the Shenandoah, Middle Military Division, to December, 1864. Reserve Horse Artillery, Army of the Shenandoah, to April,. 1865. Horse Artillery, Defences of Washington, D. C., 22nd Army Corps, to October, 1865.

SERVICE.— Advance on Manassas, Va., July 16-21, 1861. Battle of Bull Run July 21. Duty in the De- fences of Washington, D. C., till March, 1862. Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15. Advance to Falmouth, Va., April 9-19. Moved to the Virginia Peninsula. Peninsula Campaign May to August. West Point May 7. Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1. Glendale June 30. Malvern Hill July 1. At Harrison’s Landing till August 16. Moved to Alexandria August 16-24. Maryland Campaign September 6-22. Crampton’s Pass, South Mountain. Md., September 14. Battle of Antietam September 16-17. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19. Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15. At Falmouth till April, 1863. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Operations at Franklin’s Crossing April 29-May 2. Battle of Maryes Heights, Fredericksburg, May 3. Salem Heights May 3-4. Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 2-4. Advance from the Rappahannock to the Rapidan September 13-17. Culpeper Court House September 13. Raccoon Ford September 14-16. Reconnoissance across the Rapidan September 21-23. Bristoe Campaign October 9-22. Raccoon Ford and Morton’s Ford October 10. Morton’s Ford, Stevensburg, and near Kelly’s Ford October 11. Brandy Station or Fleetwood October 11-12. Oak Hill October 15. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12, 1864. Wilderness. May 5-7. Todd’s Tavern May 7-8. Sheridan’s Raid to the James River May 9-24. Ground Squirrel Church and Yellow Tavern May 11. On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28. Haw’s Shop May 28. Totopotomoy May 28-31. Cold Harbor June 1-7. Sheridan’s Trevillian Raid June 7-24. Trevillian Station June 11- 12. Black Creek or Tunstall Station and White Horse or St. Peter’s Church June 21. Siege of Petersburg June 29-August 2. Deep Bottom July 27-28. Malvern Hill July 28. Sheridan’s Shenandoah Valley Campaign August 7-November 28. Toll Gate, near White Post, and near Newtown August 11. Near Kearneysville August 25. Leetown and Smithfield, W. Va., August 28. Smithfield Crossing, Opequan, August 29. Sevier’s Ford, Opequan, September 15. Battle of Opequan September 19. Fisher’s Hill September 21. Milford September 22. Tom’s Brook October 8-9. Duty at Winchester and in the Shenandoah Valley till December, and at Pleasant Valley, Md., till April, 1865. At Washington, D. C., till October, 1865.

From Frederick Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, p. 1698





Unit History – 1st Michigan Infantry

13 07 2022

Cols., Orlando B. Willcox, John C. Robinson, Horace S. Roberts, Franklin W. Whittlesey, Ira C. Abbott; Lieut.-Cols., Loren L. Comstock, Franklin W. Whittlesey, W. A. Throop; Majs., Alonzo F. Bidwell, George C. Hopper. This regiment was organized at Detroit in April, 1861, and was mustered in May 1 for three months. It left the state on May 13 for Washington, led the advance into Virginia, entering and taking possession of Alexandria May 24, capturing 150 cavalry. It was assigned to the 2nd brigade of Heintzelman’s division and fought at Bull Run, charging one of the strongest of the enemy’s batteries four times under a heavy fire, being compelled to retire with a loss of 95 in killed, wounded and missing, one-eighth of its numbers. Its dead were found nearest the enemy’s works. It was mustered out Aug. 7, 1861, but was reorganized at Ann Arbor in August and September, and was mustered in on Sept. 16 for three years. It left the state on that date, with the exception of two detachments, and was on railroad guard duty at Annapolis Junction, Md., during the winter. It moved to Fortress Monroe in March, 1862, and was engaged at Mechanicsville, Gaines’ mill, Peach Orchard, Savage Station, Turkey bend, White Oak swamp, Malvern hill, Gainesville and the second Bull Run. In the last named engagement it was one of three regiments to make the advance, losing 8 officers and 50 per cent. of its men in killed and wounded in a few minutes. It also fought at Antietam, Shepherdstown ford and Fredericksburg, losing in the last engagement 48 killed and wounded. It was then in camp near Falmouth until April 27, 1863. It participated at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, repulsing the enemy repeatedly in the latter. It joined in pursuit of the enemy, was engaged at Williamsport, drove the enemy from Manassas gap, and was in the engagement at Wapping heights. It was then in camp at Beverly ford from Aug. 8 until Sept. 17; occupied Culpeper until Oct. 11; was engaged at Culpeper, Brandy Station and Bristoe Station; was in the desperate engagement at the Rappahannock in November; took part in the Mine Run campaign, and was in winter quarters at Beverly ford from Dec. 3, 1863, until Feb. 18, 1864, engaged in picket and guard duty. Most of the regiment reënlisted in Feb., 1864, and were furloughed home during March. Upon their return the regiment occupied its old camp at Beverly ford on April 18 and was attached to the 3d brigade, 1st division, 5th corps, Army of the Potomac. It participated in the engagement at Germanna ford on May 5, driving the enemy back and is said to have been the first infantry force to attack the enemy in the campaign of 1864. It was almost continually in battle or in skirmishing for 8 days, losing heavily and participated in the battles of Spottsylvania, Ny river, North Anna, Jericho mills, Noel’s tavern and Totopotomy. Its loss in killed and wounded during the 8 days noted above was 84. It also fought at Magnolia swamp and Bethesda Church, and was in front of Petersburg from June 17, 1864, until April 3, 1865, being engaged at Weldon railroad, and at Peebles’ farm, where, unaided, it stormed and carried two strong fortifications. It fought at Hatcher’s run, Nottaway Court House, High bridge and Appomattox Court House, and was mustered out at Jeffersonville, Ind., July 9, 1865. Its original strength was 960: gain by recruits, 386; total, 1,346. Loss by death, 243.

From The Union Army, Vol. 3 p. 390





Unit History – 11th New York Infantry

12 07 2022

Cols., E. Elmer Ellsworth, Noah L. Farnham, Charles McK. Loeser; Lieut.-Cols., Noah L. Farnham, John A. Cregier, Spencer H. Stafford, Joseph E. McFarland; Majs., John A. Cregier, Charles McK. Loeser, Alexander McC. Stetson. This regiment, the 1st Fire Zouaves, was recruited in New York city and left for Washington, 1,200 strong, April 29, 1861. At Washington it was mustered into the U. S. service on May 7, for a two years’ term and was quartered at the capitol until May 9, when it was sent to Camp Lincoln. On May 24, it was ordered to Camp Ellsworth, Alexandria, Va., where it became a part of Gen. Willcox’s brigade. At the battle of Bull Run, July 21, it was with the 2nd brigade, 2nd division, Army of Northeastern Virginia, and engaged with severe loss. In September, it returned to New York for the purpose of reorganization; performed guard duty at Bedloe’s island and returned to Fortress Monroe the same month, going into camp at Newport News. Efforts to reorganize the regiment proved futile and it returned to New York May 7, 1862, and was there mustered out on June 2. Other succeeding attempts to reorganize were likewise unsuccessful and the men enlisted for that purpose were assigned to the 17th N. Y. During its term of service the regiment suffered the loss of 51 members by death from wounds and 15 from accident or disease.

From The Union Army, Vol. 2, p. 56





Unit History – Battery I, 1st U. S. Artillery

11 07 2022

Stationed at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., January, 1861. Moved to Washington, D. C. January 7-29, 1861, and duty there till July. Attached to Willcox’s Brigade, Heintzelman’s Division, McDowell’s Army Northeastern Virginia, to August, 1861. Stone’s Brigade, Division Potomac, to October, 1861. Stone’s (Sedgwick’s) Division, Army Potomac, to March, 1862. Artillery, 2nd Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army Potomac, to November, 1862. Reserve Artillery, 2nd Army Corps, to May, 1863. Artillery Brigade, 2nd Army Corps, to November, 1863. 2nd Brigade. Horse Artillery, Artillery Reserve, Potomac, to May, 1865. Defences of Washington, D. C. 22nd Corps.

SERVICE. — Advance on Manassas, Va., July 16-21, 1861. Battle of Bull Run July 21. Moved to Poolesville, Md., August 7-15. Duty there and at Edward’s Ferry till March, 1862. Ball’s Bluff October 21, 1861. Ed- ward’s Ferry October 22. Ordered to the Virginia Peninsula March, 1862. Siege of Yorktown April 5-May 4. Battle of Fair Oaks, Seven Pines, May 31-June 1. Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1. Peach Orchard and Savage Station July 29. White Oak Swamp and Glendale June 30. Malvern Hill July 1. Moved to Alexandria, Va., August 16-23. Maryland Campaign September 6-22. Battle of Antietam September 16-17. At Harper’s Ferry till October 30. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 17. Battle of Fredericksburg December 11-15. “Mud March” January 20-24, 1863. At Falmouth till April. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24. Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3. Advance to line of the Rapidan September 13-17. Bristoe Campaign October 9-22. Bristoe Station October 14. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. Campaign from the Rapidan to the James. Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7; Spottsylvania Court House Mav 8-21; North Anna River May 23-26; Totopotomoy May 28-31; Cold Harbor June 1-7; Gaines’ Mill, Salem Church and Haw’s Shop June 2. Sheridan’s Trevillian Raid June 7-24. Trevillian Station June 11-12 Black Creek or Tunstall Station and White House or St Peter’s Church June 21. St. Mary’s Church June 24. At Light House Point June 29-July27. At Camp Barry, D. C., till September. Arthur’s Swamp September 29. Poplar Springs Church September 29-October 1. Wyatt’s Road October 1. Boydton Plank Road October 27-28. Warren’s Raid on Weldon Railroad December 7-12. Dabney’s Mills February 5-7, 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Dinwiddle Court House March 30-31. Five Forks April 1. Namozine Church April 3. Paine’s Cross Roads April 5. Sailor’s Creek April 6. Appomattox Court House April 9. Surrender of Lee and his army. Moved to Washington, D. C., May. Grand Review May 23.

From Frederick Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, pp. 1695-1696





Unit History – 1st Minnesota Infantry

10 07 2022

Cols., Willis A. Gorman, Napoleon J. T. Dana, Alfred Sully, George N. Morgan, William Colville; Lieut.-Cols., Stephen Miller, Charles Powell Adams; Majs., William H. Dike, Mark W. Downie. This regiment, organized at Fort Snelling in April, 1861, was mustered into the three months’ service April 29, and the three years’ service May 10. On May 28 Cos. B and G, were ordered to Fort Ridgely to relieve the regulars at that point. Co. A was sent to Fort Ripley for similar service, for which point Co. E also started June 6. On June 1o Cos. C and D started for Fort Abercrombie. On the 14th the regiment was ordered to Washington, and the above six companies were recalled. The regiment left the state June 22 and went into camp at Washington on the 26th. It was ordered to Alexandria in July and brigaded with others in Heintzelman’s division. It fought like a veteran regiment at Bull Run, repulsed two charges unaided, but was compelled to fall back for want of support, losing 180 in killed, wounded and prisoners, the heaviest percentage of loss suffered by any regiment in that battle. It returned to Washington and on Aug. 2, marched for Camp Stone near Edwards’ ferry, where it was engaged in picket duty and drill work. On Oct. 1, Col. Gorman was appointed brigadier-general, being succeeded by N. S. T. Dana. The regiment engaged in some skirmishing near Edwards’ ferry, was in the battle at Ball’s bluff, and served as rear-guard in the night retreat across the river. On Jan. 16, 1862, Gen. Sedgwick assumed command of the division. Late in February the regiment left for Harper’s Ferry, then moved to Charlestown and on March 10, to Berryville, where Cos. B and K acted as skirmishers, aided to dislodge a body of cavalry and hoisted the flag on the court -house. Col. Dana was promoted to brigadier-general and Col. Sully took command on March 13. On the 15th the regiment camped on Bolivar heights, but returned to Washington a week later, thence to Alexandria and on the 29th moved toward Yorktown. It engaged in a skirmish at West Point and in the battle at Fair Oaks. It was joined by the 2nd Co. Minn. sharpshooters, Capt. W. F. Russell, on June 3, and was on picket duty during most of the month. It was engaged in the Seven Days’ battles, after which it encamped at Harrison’s landing. On July 22 it was reviewed by Gen. McClellan and pronounced to be one of the two model regiments. It moved to the rear of Malvern hill in August, its division driving the enemy from the field. It was then recalled from the Peninsula and formed the rear-guard at Chantilly, being under fire for some time. It fought at South mountain and at Antietam, formed the right line of the brigade at the opening of the action, but in the subsequent movements it was left without support on either flank. However, it held its position until ordered to retire, but lost 147 in killed and wounded. It then marched to Bolivar heights, where it went into camp, and in October joined in a reconnaissance to Charlestown, where a heavy force was dislodged. It then crossed the Shenandoah and moved towards Fredericksburg, where it held a steady line under heavy fire during the engagement. It was engaged at Chancellorsville and joined the movement toward Gettysburg in June. On July 2, while supporting a battery at Gettysburg, with but 262 men, it charged two brigades which had routed Sickles’ forces, drove them back and held its position until reserves came up and relieved it. Nearly every officer was killed or wounded and of the gallant 262 who went into action 215 lay on the field, 47 were in line, and not a man missing. Of this magnificent charge, Gen. Hancock said: “There is no more gallant deed recorded in history.” The percentage of loss was without an equal in the records of modern warfare. The following day Cos. C and F which had been detached for other duties, rejoined the regiment and it charged a portion of the advancing Confederate column, assisting in the capture of a large number of the enemy. It marched to Harper’s Ferry, thence to Kelly’s ford on the Rappahannock, and was sent to New York city in August to assist in quelling the draft riots. It returned to Alexandria in September, and in October was in the hot engagement at Bristoe Station, where it captured 322 prisoners, 5 cannon and 2 stands of colors. It was in the Mine Run campaign in November, was then in camp at Stevenburg until Feb. 5, 1864, when it was ordered to Fort Snelling and was mustered out April 29, 1864. Several having reënlisted as veterans, the time of recruits not having expired, and new recruits offering themselves, a battalion of two companies was formed, known as the 1st battalion Minn. infantry. The battalion left the state May 16, 1864, for Washington and from there went to White House on the Pamunkey river, where it was assigned to the 1st brigade, and division, and army corps. It moved to Petersburg; participated in the assault on June 18; drove the enemy’s skirmishers from their lines; was in the skirmish as on the Jerusalem plank road, the assault at Deep Bottom, the battle at Reams’ station, and the sharp encounter at Hatcher’s run in October. It was then in winter quarters until spring, being joined by recruits, forming Co. C. The new company joined in a successful charge on the enemy’s rifle-pits the morning after its arrival, in the final assault at Petersburg, and in the various actions in which the 2nd corps was engaged up to the surrender of Lee at Appomattox, after which the battalion was sent to Louisville. It was mustered out at Fort Snelling July 15, 1865.

From The Union Army, Vol. 4, pp. 98-99





Unit History – 11th Massachusetts Infantry

9 07 2022

Cols., George Clark, Jr., William Blaisdell, Thomas H. Dunham; Lieut.- Cols., William Blaisdell, George F. Tileston, Porter D. Tripp, Charles C. Rivers, Thomas H. Dunham, James F. Mansfield; Majs., George F. Tileston, Porter D. Tripp, Charles C. Rivers, Richard T. Lombard, James W. McDonald, Thomas H. Dunham, James F. Mansfield, Frank McQuade. The 11th infantry, the third Massachusetts regiment to enlist for three years, was composed mainly of Boston men and was called the Boston volunteers. It was mustered in at Fort Warren, June 13, 1861, and was mustered out June 12, 1864. The recruits and reēnlisted men were made a battalion of five companies, to which a company of men, enlisted for one year, was added and the battalion, known as the 11th regiment, was mustered out on July 14, 1865, at Readville. The total strength was 1,316 members. On June 27, 1861, the regiment left the state for Washington, where it arrived on July 3. At the first battle of Bull Run, the 11th suffered a baptism of fire which it nobly withstood. It took part in the siege of Yorktown, and was later engaged at Williamsburg, Oak Grove, Malvern hill and Bristoe Station. In the second battle of Bull Run it drove the enemy from behind a railroad embankment, where they were very strongly intrenched. The 11th was held in reserve at Fredericksburg, but was in action at Chancellorsville, on which occasion it was complimented by Gen. Hancock. At Gettysburg it suffered heavily and after that battle was again ordered into Virginia, where it participated in the Mine Run expedition. The remainder of the winter was spent at Brandy Station, which place was left on May 3, 1864, for the Wilderness. Here the regiment was in action and also in the bitter contest at the ” bloody angle” at Spottsylvania, where its work was very brilliant. It then followed the fortunes of the Army of the Potomac and after the battle of Cold Harbor became a battalion, which continued in the same command, being joined by two companies from the 16th Mass. infantry. Next, near Petersburg, it was in several engagements with the enemy, and in Feb., 1865, it joined the expedition to Hatcher’s run, where it finished its active service.

From The Union Army, Vol. 1, pp. 172-173