If you’ve been reading Bull Runnings for a while, you know that I’ve previewed all of the titles in Savas Beatie’s Emerging Civil War series. And you also know how these books work. Concise histories, lots of maps and illustrations, tough paperbacks, suitable for the field. The really interesting parts, to me anyway, are the appendices. So, for this newest publication, I’m going to give you the bare minimum, and flesh out those appendices for you.
- Foreword by Ted Alexander
- Narrative 114 pages, 12 chapters.
- Seven Hal Jesperson Maps
- Appendix A: The Civilians’ Experience at the Battle of Monocacy – Quint
- Appendix B: The Ransom of Frederick – Quint
- Appendix C: Medical Care and the Battle of Monocacy – Jake Wynn
- Appendix D: The Johnson-Gilmor Raid – Philip S. Greenwalt
- Appendix E: McCausland’s Raid and the Burning of Chambersburg – Avery C. Lentz
- Appendix F: The Literary Legacy of Lew Wallace – Quint
- Touring the Battlefield (10 pages)
- Order of Battle
No footnotes, bibliography, or index in this volume. Footnotes are available online.
Ryan Quint is a seasonal ranger at Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania National Military Park.