Comments : 16 Comments »
Tags: Articles, Blogroll, Dmitri Rotov, Gustavus W. Smith, The Big Lebowski
Categories : Articles, Civil War Blogroll, Civil War On the Web
Here’s a thoughtful post by Dmitri Rotov on how we have come to understand – or rather, “know” – what happened to Confederate general Gustavus W. Smith after he took command of the army outside of Richmond in June 1862. The opening sentence says it all:
Common knowledge is the curse of Civil War history.
Post title courtesy of Jeffrey [The Big] Lebowski.
Comments : 3 Comments »
Tags: Articles, Manassas, Prince William County, Sesquicentennial
Categories : Articles, News
Here’s an article with a calendar of sesquicentennial events in Virginia in 2011. Below are events scheduled for Manassas and Prince William County in the first quarter:
- Manassas Museum: “Mosby in Manassas and Prince William.” Lecture. 2 p.m. Jan. 16. Free. 9101 Prince William St., Manassas. Info: 703-368-1873, or www.manassasmuseum.org.
- Manassas Blue and Gray Ball: Civil War food, music and dancing. Jan. 22, Hylton Performing Arts Center, 10900 University Blvd., Manassas. $150 per person. Info: 703-361-6599 ext. 102.
- Old Manassas Courthouse: “There Stands Jackson: The Life and Times of General Thomas Jonathan Jackson.” Lecture. 7 p.m. Jan. 27. Free. 9248 Lee Ave., Manassas. Info: 703-367-7872.
- Manassas Museum: “Back of the Big House and the Planters Project.” Lecture on slave life during the Civil War. 2 p.m. Feb. 6. Free. 9101 Prince William St., Manassas. Info: 703-368-1873 or www.manassasmuseum.org.
- Liberia Mansion: “A Slave’s Life at Liberia Plantation.” Living history, music and stories at the Liberia Mansion, 8601 Portner Ave., Manassas. 2 p.m. Feb. 12. $15. Info: 703-368-1873.
- Old Manassas Courthouse: “Plantation Culture from Those Who Built It: A View of Slavery through Architecture and Art.” Lecture. 7 p.m. Feb. 24. Free. 9248 Lee Ave, Manassas. Info: 703-367-7872.
- Liberia Plantation: Dinner with General P.G.T. Beauregard. March 19. $25. 8601 Portner Ave., Manassas. Info and registration: 703-368-1873.
- Manassas Museum: “Manassas: Legends and Lies.” Lecture by John Hennessy. Book signing follows. 2 p.m. March 27 Free. 9101 Prince William St., Manassas. Info: 703-368-1873 or www.manassasmuseum.org.
- Old Manassas Courthouse: “They Fought Like Demons: Female Combatants in the Civil War.” Lecture. 7 p.m. March 21 Free. 9248 Lee Ave, Manassas. Info: 703-367-7872.
The March 21 lecture may be presented by Elizabeth Leonard, who gave Bull Runnings an interview recently.
If any of you have any more information on these events, let me know in the comments section!