Unit History – Battery D, 2nd U. S. Artillery

14 07 2022

Attached to Wilcox’s Brigade, Heintzelman’s Division, McDowell’s Army of Northeast Virginia, June to August, 1861. Kearney’s Brigade, Division of the Potomac, to October, 1861. Artillery, Franklin’s Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862. Artillery, 1st Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac and Dept. of the Rappahannock, to May, 1862. Artillery, 1st Division, 6th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to May, 1863. Artillery Brigade, 6th Army Corps, to July, 1863. 1st Brigade, Horse Artillery, Army of the Potomac, to August, 1864. Horse Artillery, Army of the Shenandoah, Middle Military Division, to December, 1864. Reserve Horse Artillery, Army of the Shenandoah, to April,. 1865. Horse Artillery, Defences of Washington, D. C., 22nd Army Corps, to October, 1865.

SERVICE.— Advance on Manassas, Va., July 16-21, 1861. Battle of Bull Run July 21. Duty in the De- fences of Washington, D. C., till March, 1862. Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15. Advance to Falmouth, Va., April 9-19. Moved to the Virginia Peninsula. Peninsula Campaign May to August. West Point May 7. Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1. Glendale June 30. Malvern Hill July 1. At Harrison’s Landing till August 16. Moved to Alexandria August 16-24. Maryland Campaign September 6-22. Crampton’s Pass, South Mountain. Md., September 14. Battle of Antietam September 16-17. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19. Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15. At Falmouth till April, 1863. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Operations at Franklin’s Crossing April 29-May 2. Battle of Maryes Heights, Fredericksburg, May 3. Salem Heights May 3-4. Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 2-4. Advance from the Rappahannock to the Rapidan September 13-17. Culpeper Court House September 13. Raccoon Ford September 14-16. Reconnoissance across the Rapidan September 21-23. Bristoe Campaign October 9-22. Raccoon Ford and Morton’s Ford October 10. Morton’s Ford, Stevensburg, and near Kelly’s Ford October 11. Brandy Station or Fleetwood October 11-12. Oak Hill October 15. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12, 1864. Wilderness. May 5-7. Todd’s Tavern May 7-8. Sheridan’s Raid to the James River May 9-24. Ground Squirrel Church and Yellow Tavern May 11. On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28. Haw’s Shop May 28. Totopotomoy May 28-31. Cold Harbor June 1-7. Sheridan’s Trevillian Raid June 7-24. Trevillian Station June 11- 12. Black Creek or Tunstall Station and White Horse or St. Peter’s Church June 21. Siege of Petersburg June 29-August 2. Deep Bottom July 27-28. Malvern Hill July 28. Sheridan’s Shenandoah Valley Campaign August 7-November 28. Toll Gate, near White Post, and near Newtown August 11. Near Kearneysville August 25. Leetown and Smithfield, W. Va., August 28. Smithfield Crossing, Opequan, August 29. Sevier’s Ford, Opequan, September 15. Battle of Opequan September 19. Fisher’s Hill September 21. Milford September 22. Tom’s Brook October 8-9. Duty at Winchester and in the Shenandoah Valley till December, and at Pleasant Valley, Md., till April, 1865. At Washington, D. C., till October, 1865.

From Frederick Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, p. 1698





Unit History – 1st Michigan Infantry

13 07 2022

Cols., Orlando B. Willcox, John C. Robinson, Horace S. Roberts, Franklin W. Whittlesey, Ira C. Abbott; Lieut.-Cols., Loren L. Comstock, Franklin W. Whittlesey, W. A. Throop; Majs., Alonzo F. Bidwell, George C. Hopper. This regiment was organized at Detroit in April, 1861, and was mustered in May 1 for three months. It left the state on May 13 for Washington, led the advance into Virginia, entering and taking possession of Alexandria May 24, capturing 150 cavalry. It was assigned to the 2nd brigade of Heintzelman’s division and fought at Bull Run, charging one of the strongest of the enemy’s batteries four times under a heavy fire, being compelled to retire with a loss of 95 in killed, wounded and missing, one-eighth of its numbers. Its dead were found nearest the enemy’s works. It was mustered out Aug. 7, 1861, but was reorganized at Ann Arbor in August and September, and was mustered in on Sept. 16 for three years. It left the state on that date, with the exception of two detachments, and was on railroad guard duty at Annapolis Junction, Md., during the winter. It moved to Fortress Monroe in March, 1862, and was engaged at Mechanicsville, Gaines’ mill, Peach Orchard, Savage Station, Turkey bend, White Oak swamp, Malvern hill, Gainesville and the second Bull Run. In the last named engagement it was one of three regiments to make the advance, losing 8 officers and 50 per cent. of its men in killed and wounded in a few minutes. It also fought at Antietam, Shepherdstown ford and Fredericksburg, losing in the last engagement 48 killed and wounded. It was then in camp near Falmouth until April 27, 1863. It participated at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, repulsing the enemy repeatedly in the latter. It joined in pursuit of the enemy, was engaged at Williamsport, drove the enemy from Manassas gap, and was in the engagement at Wapping heights. It was then in camp at Beverly ford from Aug. 8 until Sept. 17; occupied Culpeper until Oct. 11; was engaged at Culpeper, Brandy Station and Bristoe Station; was in the desperate engagement at the Rappahannock in November; took part in the Mine Run campaign, and was in winter quarters at Beverly ford from Dec. 3, 1863, until Feb. 18, 1864, engaged in picket and guard duty. Most of the regiment reënlisted in Feb., 1864, and were furloughed home during March. Upon their return the regiment occupied its old camp at Beverly ford on April 18 and was attached to the 3d brigade, 1st division, 5th corps, Army of the Potomac. It participated in the engagement at Germanna ford on May 5, driving the enemy back and is said to have been the first infantry force to attack the enemy in the campaign of 1864. It was almost continually in battle or in skirmishing for 8 days, losing heavily and participated in the battles of Spottsylvania, Ny river, North Anna, Jericho mills, Noel’s tavern and Totopotomy. Its loss in killed and wounded during the 8 days noted above was 84. It also fought at Magnolia swamp and Bethesda Church, and was in front of Petersburg from June 17, 1864, until April 3, 1865, being engaged at Weldon railroad, and at Peebles’ farm, where, unaided, it stormed and carried two strong fortifications. It fought at Hatcher’s run, Nottaway Court House, High bridge and Appomattox Court House, and was mustered out at Jeffersonville, Ind., July 9, 1865. Its original strength was 960: gain by recruits, 386; total, 1,346. Loss by death, 243.

From The Union Army, Vol. 3 p. 390





Unit History – 11th New York Infantry

12 07 2022

Cols., E. Elmer Ellsworth, Noah L. Farnham, Charles McK. Loeser; Lieut.-Cols., Noah L. Farnham, John A. Cregier, Spencer H. Stafford, Joseph E. McFarland; Majs., John A. Cregier, Charles McK. Loeser, Alexander McC. Stetson. This regiment, the 1st Fire Zouaves, was recruited in New York city and left for Washington, 1,200 strong, April 29, 1861. At Washington it was mustered into the U. S. service on May 7, for a two years’ term and was quartered at the capitol until May 9, when it was sent to Camp Lincoln. On May 24, it was ordered to Camp Ellsworth, Alexandria, Va., where it became a part of Gen. Willcox’s brigade. At the battle of Bull Run, July 21, it was with the 2nd brigade, 2nd division, Army of Northeastern Virginia, and engaged with severe loss. In September, it returned to New York for the purpose of reorganization; performed guard duty at Bedloe’s island and returned to Fortress Monroe the same month, going into camp at Newport News. Efforts to reorganize the regiment proved futile and it returned to New York May 7, 1862, and was there mustered out on June 2. Other succeeding attempts to reorganize were likewise unsuccessful and the men enlisted for that purpose were assigned to the 17th N. Y. During its term of service the regiment suffered the loss of 51 members by death from wounds and 15 from accident or disease.

From The Union Army, Vol. 2, p. 56





Unit History – Battery I, 1st U. S. Artillery

11 07 2022

Stationed at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., January, 1861. Moved to Washington, D. C. January 7-29, 1861, and duty there till July. Attached to Willcox’s Brigade, Heintzelman’s Division, McDowell’s Army Northeastern Virginia, to August, 1861. Stone’s Brigade, Division Potomac, to October, 1861. Stone’s (Sedgwick’s) Division, Army Potomac, to March, 1862. Artillery, 2nd Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army Potomac, to November, 1862. Reserve Artillery, 2nd Army Corps, to May, 1863. Artillery Brigade, 2nd Army Corps, to November, 1863. 2nd Brigade. Horse Artillery, Artillery Reserve, Potomac, to May, 1865. Defences of Washington, D. C. 22nd Corps.

SERVICE. — Advance on Manassas, Va., July 16-21, 1861. Battle of Bull Run July 21. Moved to Poolesville, Md., August 7-15. Duty there and at Edward’s Ferry till March, 1862. Ball’s Bluff October 21, 1861. Ed- ward’s Ferry October 22. Ordered to the Virginia Peninsula March, 1862. Siege of Yorktown April 5-May 4. Battle of Fair Oaks, Seven Pines, May 31-June 1. Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1. Peach Orchard and Savage Station July 29. White Oak Swamp and Glendale June 30. Malvern Hill July 1. Moved to Alexandria, Va., August 16-23. Maryland Campaign September 6-22. Battle of Antietam September 16-17. At Harper’s Ferry till October 30. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 17. Battle of Fredericksburg December 11-15. “Mud March” January 20-24, 1863. At Falmouth till April. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24. Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3. Advance to line of the Rapidan September 13-17. Bristoe Campaign October 9-22. Bristoe Station October 14. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. Campaign from the Rapidan to the James. Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7; Spottsylvania Court House Mav 8-21; North Anna River May 23-26; Totopotomoy May 28-31; Cold Harbor June 1-7; Gaines’ Mill, Salem Church and Haw’s Shop June 2. Sheridan’s Trevillian Raid June 7-24. Trevillian Station June 11-12 Black Creek or Tunstall Station and White House or St Peter’s Church June 21. St. Mary’s Church June 24. At Light House Point June 29-July27. At Camp Barry, D. C., till September. Arthur’s Swamp September 29. Poplar Springs Church September 29-October 1. Wyatt’s Road October 1. Boydton Plank Road October 27-28. Warren’s Raid on Weldon Railroad December 7-12. Dabney’s Mills February 5-7, 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Dinwiddle Court House March 30-31. Five Forks April 1. Namozine Church April 3. Paine’s Cross Roads April 5. Sailor’s Creek April 6. Appomattox Court House April 9. Surrender of Lee and his army. Moved to Washington, D. C., May. Grand Review May 23.

From Frederick Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, pp. 1695-1696





Unit History – 1st Minnesota Infantry

10 07 2022

Cols., Willis A. Gorman, Napoleon J. T. Dana, Alfred Sully, George N. Morgan, William Colville; Lieut.-Cols., Stephen Miller, Charles Powell Adams; Majs., William H. Dike, Mark W. Downie. This regiment, organized at Fort Snelling in April, 1861, was mustered into the three months’ service April 29, and the three years’ service May 10. On May 28 Cos. B and G, were ordered to Fort Ridgely to relieve the regulars at that point. Co. A was sent to Fort Ripley for similar service, for which point Co. E also started June 6. On June 1o Cos. C and D started for Fort Abercrombie. On the 14th the regiment was ordered to Washington, and the above six companies were recalled. The regiment left the state June 22 and went into camp at Washington on the 26th. It was ordered to Alexandria in July and brigaded with others in Heintzelman’s division. It fought like a veteran regiment at Bull Run, repulsed two charges unaided, but was compelled to fall back for want of support, losing 180 in killed, wounded and prisoners, the heaviest percentage of loss suffered by any regiment in that battle. It returned to Washington and on Aug. 2, marched for Camp Stone near Edwards’ ferry, where it was engaged in picket duty and drill work. On Oct. 1, Col. Gorman was appointed brigadier-general, being succeeded by N. S. T. Dana. The regiment engaged in some skirmishing near Edwards’ ferry, was in the battle at Ball’s bluff, and served as rear-guard in the night retreat across the river. On Jan. 16, 1862, Gen. Sedgwick assumed command of the division. Late in February the regiment left for Harper’s Ferry, then moved to Charlestown and on March 10, to Berryville, where Cos. B and K acted as skirmishers, aided to dislodge a body of cavalry and hoisted the flag on the court -house. Col. Dana was promoted to brigadier-general and Col. Sully took command on March 13. On the 15th the regiment camped on Bolivar heights, but returned to Washington a week later, thence to Alexandria and on the 29th moved toward Yorktown. It engaged in a skirmish at West Point and in the battle at Fair Oaks. It was joined by the 2nd Co. Minn. sharpshooters, Capt. W. F. Russell, on June 3, and was on picket duty during most of the month. It was engaged in the Seven Days’ battles, after which it encamped at Harrison’s landing. On July 22 it was reviewed by Gen. McClellan and pronounced to be one of the two model regiments. It moved to the rear of Malvern hill in August, its division driving the enemy from the field. It was then recalled from the Peninsula and formed the rear-guard at Chantilly, being under fire for some time. It fought at South mountain and at Antietam, formed the right line of the brigade at the opening of the action, but in the subsequent movements it was left without support on either flank. However, it held its position until ordered to retire, but lost 147 in killed and wounded. It then marched to Bolivar heights, where it went into camp, and in October joined in a reconnaissance to Charlestown, where a heavy force was dislodged. It then crossed the Shenandoah and moved towards Fredericksburg, where it held a steady line under heavy fire during the engagement. It was engaged at Chancellorsville and joined the movement toward Gettysburg in June. On July 2, while supporting a battery at Gettysburg, with but 262 men, it charged two brigades which had routed Sickles’ forces, drove them back and held its position until reserves came up and relieved it. Nearly every officer was killed or wounded and of the gallant 262 who went into action 215 lay on the field, 47 were in line, and not a man missing. Of this magnificent charge, Gen. Hancock said: “There is no more gallant deed recorded in history.” The percentage of loss was without an equal in the records of modern warfare. The following day Cos. C and F which had been detached for other duties, rejoined the regiment and it charged a portion of the advancing Confederate column, assisting in the capture of a large number of the enemy. It marched to Harper’s Ferry, thence to Kelly’s ford on the Rappahannock, and was sent to New York city in August to assist in quelling the draft riots. It returned to Alexandria in September, and in October was in the hot engagement at Bristoe Station, where it captured 322 prisoners, 5 cannon and 2 stands of colors. It was in the Mine Run campaign in November, was then in camp at Stevenburg until Feb. 5, 1864, when it was ordered to Fort Snelling and was mustered out April 29, 1864. Several having reënlisted as veterans, the time of recruits not having expired, and new recruits offering themselves, a battalion of two companies was formed, known as the 1st battalion Minn. infantry. The battalion left the state May 16, 1864, for Washington and from there went to White House on the Pamunkey river, where it was assigned to the 1st brigade, and division, and army corps. It moved to Petersburg; participated in the assault on June 18; drove the enemy’s skirmishers from their lines; was in the skirmish as on the Jerusalem plank road, the assault at Deep Bottom, the battle at Reams’ station, and the sharp encounter at Hatcher’s run in October. It was then in winter quarters until spring, being joined by recruits, forming Co. C. The new company joined in a successful charge on the enemy’s rifle-pits the morning after its arrival, in the final assault at Petersburg, and in the various actions in which the 2nd corps was engaged up to the surrender of Lee at Appomattox, after which the battalion was sent to Louisville. It was mustered out at Fort Snelling July 15, 1865.

From The Union Army, Vol. 4, pp. 98-99





Unit History – 11th Massachusetts Infantry

9 07 2022

Cols., George Clark, Jr., William Blaisdell, Thomas H. Dunham; Lieut.- Cols., William Blaisdell, George F. Tileston, Porter D. Tripp, Charles C. Rivers, Thomas H. Dunham, James F. Mansfield; Majs., George F. Tileston, Porter D. Tripp, Charles C. Rivers, Richard T. Lombard, James W. McDonald, Thomas H. Dunham, James F. Mansfield, Frank McQuade. The 11th infantry, the third Massachusetts regiment to enlist for three years, was composed mainly of Boston men and was called the Boston volunteers. It was mustered in at Fort Warren, June 13, 1861, and was mustered out June 12, 1864. The recruits and reēnlisted men were made a battalion of five companies, to which a company of men, enlisted for one year, was added and the battalion, known as the 11th regiment, was mustered out on July 14, 1865, at Readville. The total strength was 1,316 members. On June 27, 1861, the regiment left the state for Washington, where it arrived on July 3. At the first battle of Bull Run, the 11th suffered a baptism of fire which it nobly withstood. It took part in the siege of Yorktown, and was later engaged at Williamsburg, Oak Grove, Malvern hill and Bristoe Station. In the second battle of Bull Run it drove the enemy from behind a railroad embankment, where they were very strongly intrenched. The 11th was held in reserve at Fredericksburg, but was in action at Chancellorsville, on which occasion it was complimented by Gen. Hancock. At Gettysburg it suffered heavily and after that battle was again ordered into Virginia, where it participated in the Mine Run expedition. The remainder of the winter was spent at Brandy Station, which place was left on May 3, 1864, for the Wilderness. Here the regiment was in action and also in the bitter contest at the ” bloody angle” at Spottsylvania, where its work was very brilliant. It then followed the fortunes of the Army of the Potomac and after the battle of Cold Harbor became a battalion, which continued in the same command, being joined by two companies from the 16th Mass. infantry. Next, near Petersburg, it was in several engagements with the enemy, and in Feb., 1865, it joined the expedition to Hatcher’s run, where it finished its active service.

From The Union Army, Vol. 1, pp. 172-173





Unit History – 5th Massachusetts Infantry

30 06 2022

Cols., Samuel C. Lawrence, George H. Pierson; Lieut.-Cols., J. Durell Greene, John T. Boyd, William E. C. Worcester; Majs., Hamlin W. Keyes, William E. C. Worcester, William T. Grammer. The 5th regiment, Mass. militia, volunteered for three months, and with the addition of one company from the 1st and four from the 7th militia, it reported for duty at Washington, where it was mustered into the U. S. service, May 1, 1861. It fought nobly in the battle of Bull Run and on July 21, 1861, was mustered out at Boston. The regiment volunteered again for the nine months’ service and was reorganized at Wenham, in Sept. and Oct., 1862, with 984 officers and men. It left Boston Oct. 22 for New Berne, N. C., and from there moved to Washington, N. C., and Williamston. It took part in an expedition to Goldsboro and met the enemy in battles at Kinston, Whitehall and Goldsboro. On April 4, 1863, it went to the relief of Little Washington, but was obliged to return to New Berne. It was mustered out at Wenham, July 2, 1863. In July, 1864, the 5th again took the field in response to the call for troops for 100 days. It proceeded to Baltimore, garrisoned Fort Marshall, was detailed for duty at different places in Maryland during the elections, and was mustered out at Readville, Nov. 16, 1864.

From The Union Army, Vol. 1, pp. 169-170





Unit History – 71st New York State Militia

29 06 2022

Col., Abram S. Vosburgh; Lieut.- Col., Henry P. Martin; Maj., George A. Buckingham. This regiment, also known as the American Guard and Vosburgh Chasseurs, was a New York city organization and was one of the eleven uniformed militia regiments sent to the relief of Washington upon the outbreak of the war. It left the state on April 21, 1861, 950 strong, reached the capital on the 27th; and was mustered into the U. S. service on May 3, for a term of three months. It was first quartered in the inauguration ball room, whence it was ordered to barracks in the navy yard. Co. I, armed with 2 howitzers, was originally Co. L, 19th militia, “Parmenter’s Riflemen” from Newburg, and joined the 71st soon after its arrival in Washington. On May 20, Col. Vosburgh succumbed to disease and the command devolved upon Lieut.-Col. Martin, who was commissioned colonel on June 15, Charles H. Smith becoming lieutenant-colonel at the same time. The regiment participated in the occupation of Alexandria, Va., May 24, and first came under fire in the attack on the batteries at Acquia creek. It took part in the attack on Matthias point and rendered excellent service at the first battle of Bull Run, where it served in the 2nd brigade (Burnside’s), 2nd division (Hunter’s), Army of Northeastern Virginia, being among the last to leave the field and retiring in good order. It lost 10 enlisted men killed, 3 officers and 37 men wounded, 1 officer and 11 men captured, a total loss of 62. Speaking of the service of the 71st, Col. Burnside reported: “I beg again to mention the bravery and steadiness manifested by Col. Martin and his entire regiment, both in the field and during the retreat.” The regiment was mustered out on July 30, 1861, at New York city. On May 28, 1862, the regiment was again mustered into the U. S. service for three months and left the state the same day, 820 strong. It was commanded by Col. Martin, with Charles H. Smith as lieutenant-colonel. Assigned to Sturgis’ brigade it served in the defenses of Washington, and was mustered out in New York city on Sept. 2. A considerable number of the regiment at once reënlisted in the 124th infantry then being recruited. On June 17, 1863, the regiment entered the U. S. service for the third time, leaving the state for Harrisburg, Pa., for 30 days’ service. Its field officers were Col., Benjamin L. Trafford; Lieut.- Col., William J. Coles; Maj., David C. Muschutt. It was assigned to the 1st brigade, 1st division, Department of the Susquehanna, and saw a good deal of hard service during the short campaign, being almost constantly on the march. It participated in skirmishes at Kingston and near Harrisburg, and on its return to the state was on active duty during the draft riots in New York city in July. It was mustered out of service, July 22, 1863. The losses of the regiment during service in 1861 were 11 enlisted men killed in action; 1 enlisted man and 1 officer died of wounds; 1 officer and 4 enlisted men died of disease, a total of 18.

From The Union Army, Vol. 2, pp. 245-246





Unit History – Battery A, 1st Rhode Island Light Artillery

28 06 2022

First Regiment, Light Artillery – Col., Charles H. Tompkins; Lieut. Cols., William H. Reynolds, John A. Monroe; Majs., John A. Monroe, John A. Tompkins, John G. Hazard. The organization of this regiment was begun early in 1861, but was not completed until the fall of 1862.

Battery A. – Capts., William H. Reynolds, John A. Tompkins, William A. Arnold, was organized in connection with the 2nd R. I. infantry. It was mustered into the U. S. service for three years on June 6, 1861, at Providence, and left for Washington on the 19th. It went into camp at Camp Sprague, and was attached to Burnside’s brigade, Hunter’s division, McDowell’s corps. In the first battle of Bull Run it lost several men in killed and wounded, and had a number of its guns and horses captured by the enemy. The battery returned to Camp Sprague and on July 28, was ordered to Sandy Hook, Md., where it received the guns and equipment from the 1st light battery, then about to be mustered out. Upon the organization of a battalion of light artillery in August and of an entire regiment in September this command became battery A of the 1st R. I. light artillery, its captain being appointed lieutenant-colonel of the regiment. Winter quarters were established at Poolesville, Md., but camp was broken in March, 1862, for the Peninsular campaign, in which the battery took an active part. It was held in reserve at Chantilly; was active at Antietam, where 4 men were killed and 15 wounded; participated in the battle of Fredericksburg; wintered at Falmouth; was active at Marye’s heights and at Gettysburg, losing in the last battle 5 killed and 23 wounded, besides 30 horses; then moved southward with the Army of the Potomac; fought at Bristoe Station and in the Mine Run campaign, and went into winter quarters at Mountain run. On Feb. 6, 1864, it was engaged at Morton’s ford and on May 3, broke camp for the Wilderness campaign, during which it was active at the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, the North Anna river, Cold Harbor, etc., and became noted as a reliable command. On June 18, 1864, its term of service having expired, the battery was mustered out, but Lieut. Dwight immediately reorganized it and it continued in the field with the Army of the Potomac. On Sept. 30, 1864, it was consolidated with Battery B. During the entire term of service of the battery its casualty list numbered 1 officer and 17 men killed in action, 90 wounded and 4 captured. Four years’ hard fighting was the portion of its members and its history is that of arduous duties faithfully and efficiently performed.

From The Union Army, Vol. 1, p. 251





Unit History – 2nd Rhode Island Infantry

23 06 2022

Cols., John S. Slocum, Frank Wheaton, Nelson Viall, Horatio Rogers, Jr., Samuel B. M. Read, Elisha H. Rhodes; Lieut. Cols., Frank Wheaton, William H. P. Steere, Nelson Viall, Nathan Goff, Jr., Samuel B. M. Read, Henry C. Jenckes, Elisha H. Rhodes; Majs., Sullivan Ballou, Nelson Viall, Nathan Goff, Jr. Thorndike C. Jameson, Henry C. Jenckes, Stephen H. Brown, Henry H. Young. The 2nd infantry was organized at Providence and was composed of one company from Bristol, one from East Greenwich, one from South Kingston, three from Providence and a battery of light artillery from Providence. It was mustered into the U. S. service at Providence June 5 and 6, 1861, for three years. The command, over 800 strong, went into camp at the Dexter training grounds until June 19, when it embarked for the front. Landing at Elizabeth, N. J., the troops proceeded by rail to Baltimore and on the 22nd arrived at Camp Sprague, Washington, where they were warmly greeted by their comrades of the 1st. The 2nd was assigned to the 2nd brigade (Col. Burnside), 2nd division (Col. Hunter), and moved toward Manassas on July 16. In the battle which followed on the 21st the 2nd fired the opening volley and early showed its fighting qualities. Its loss in this engagement was 98 killed, wounded and missing, among the mortally wounded being Col. Slocum and Maj. Ballou. On the return to Washington Camp Sprague was occupied until Aug. 6, when the regiment moved to Brightwood and in the general reorganization of the army was brigaded with the 7th and 10th Mass. and 36th N. Y., under Gen. Couch in Buell’s division, whose command was later taken by Gen. Keyes. Camp Brightwood was left on March 26, 1862, at which time the brigade, commanded by Col. Charles Devens, Jr., moved into Virginia for the Peninsular campaign. The regiment shared in the wearisome marches on the Peninsula, a number of sharp skirmishes, and was closely engaged at Malvern hill, after which it encamped at Harrison’s Landing until the middle of August, when it moved to Yorktown. The troops suffered much from sickness during this campaign. On Aug. 31 the 2nd moved to Alexandria and the next day to Chantilly, where it was assigned to Robinson’s brigade, Birney’s division, 3d corps. During the Maryland campaign it was ordered from place to place in support of the army and finally was attached to the 6th corps, which became its permanent assignment. At Fredericksburg the regiment was in action and occupied winter quarters at Falmouth until late in April, 1863, when it participated in the Chancellorsville campaign. At Marye’s heights, in the victorious dash of May 3, the regiment distinguished itself under Col. Rogers and lost 7 killed, 68 wounded and 5 missing, receiving complimentary notice for gallantry in action. On June 6, it left camp at Falmouth and was present at Gettysburg, but was held in reserve. In the pursuit which followed and the movements of the Army of the Potomac during the autumn, the regiment participated and went into winter quarters at Brandy Station, Dec. 3, 1863, where it remained until May 4, 1864, when it broke camp for the Wilderness campaign, in which the entire regiment was active until June 11, when the original members not reënlisted were mustered out, the recruits and veterans making up the reorganized regiment, which, under command of Col. Rhodes, remained with the 6th corps. In the fall and winter five new companies were added to the regiment, which shared in the operations before Petersburg; was active at Winchester, Sept. 19, remaining there until Dec. 1; was engaged at Hatcher’s run, in Dec., 1864, and Feb., 1865; was in action at Forts Fisher and Stedman, and in the final assault on April 2. The regiment joined in the pursuit of Lee’s army and was engaged at Sailor’s creek, where it lost 49 men in killed and wounded. Guard duty followed at Burkesville, Danville and Wells’ station until May 16, when faces were turned homeward. After participation in the grand review at Washington, the 2nd was stationed at Hall’s hill, Va., and there mustered out on July 13, 1865, having earned by long and effective service the warm welcome awaiting it at Providence. The total loss of the regiment was 9 officers and 111 men killed or died of wounds, and 76 deaths from accident or disease, in all 196. The regiment is mentioned by Col. Fox as one of the “three hundred fighting regiments.”

From The Union Army, Vol. 1, pp. 244-246