Unit History – 11th Massachusetts Infantry

9 07 2022

Cols., George Clark, Jr., William Blaisdell, Thomas H. Dunham; Lieut.- Cols., William Blaisdell, George F. Tileston, Porter D. Tripp, Charles C. Rivers, Thomas H. Dunham, James F. Mansfield; Majs., George F. Tileston, Porter D. Tripp, Charles C. Rivers, Richard T. Lombard, James W. McDonald, Thomas H. Dunham, James F. Mansfield, Frank McQuade. The 11th infantry, the third Massachusetts regiment to enlist for three years, was composed mainly of Boston men and was called the Boston volunteers. It was mustered in at Fort Warren, June 13, 1861, and was mustered out June 12, 1864. The recruits and reēnlisted men were made a battalion of five companies, to which a company of men, enlisted for one year, was added and the battalion, known as the 11th regiment, was mustered out on July 14, 1865, at Readville. The total strength was 1,316 members. On June 27, 1861, the regiment left the state for Washington, where it arrived on July 3. At the first battle of Bull Run, the 11th suffered a baptism of fire which it nobly withstood. It took part in the siege of Yorktown, and was later engaged at Williamsburg, Oak Grove, Malvern hill and Bristoe Station. In the second battle of Bull Run it drove the enemy from behind a railroad embankment, where they were very strongly intrenched. The 11th was held in reserve at Fredericksburg, but was in action at Chancellorsville, on which occasion it was complimented by Gen. Hancock. At Gettysburg it suffered heavily and after that battle was again ordered into Virginia, where it participated in the Mine Run expedition. The remainder of the winter was spent at Brandy Station, which place was left on May 3, 1864, for the Wilderness. Here the regiment was in action and also in the bitter contest at the ” bloody angle” at Spottsylvania, where its work was very brilliant. It then followed the fortunes of the Army of the Potomac and after the battle of Cold Harbor became a battalion, which continued in the same command, being joined by two companies from the 16th Mass. infantry. Next, near Petersburg, it was in several engagements with the enemy, and in Feb., 1865, it joined the expedition to Hatcher’s run, where it finished its active service.

From The Union Army, Vol. 1, pp. 172-173