Unit History – 3rd Connecticut Infantry

10 03 2022

Cols., John Arnold, John Chatfield; Lieut. -Col., Allen G. Brady; Maj., Alexander Warner. Recruiting for the 3d regiment began simultaneously with that of the other two three months’ regiments, its ranks being soon filled under the enthusiasm of the first few weeks of the war, and the men rendezvoused at the fair grounds, Hartford, May 9. Here they were mustered into the U. S. service on the 14th, and after receiving its colors from the hands of Gov. Buckingham, the regiment left for New Haven on the 23d, whence it sailed for Washington on the steamer Cahawba. On its arrival it went into camp at Glenwood and was temporarily brigaded with the other two Connecticut regiments under the command of Brig. -Gen. Tyler. Col. Arnold having resigned, Lieut.-Col. Chatfield of the 1st regiment was appointed colonel. He was experienced militia officer and a fine disciplinarian. Lieut.- Col. Brady, angered at the appointment of Col. Chatfield over his head, was deprived of his sword for insubordination, but was honorably mustered out with the regiment and afterwards achieved distinction in the 17th Conn. infantry and veteran reserve corps. On June 24 the 3d crossed the long bridge into Virginia and moved to Falls Church, where it became a part of the 1st brigade, 1st division, Gen. Mc Dowell’s Army of the Potomac. It was brought to a high state of discipline and efficiency under Col. Chatfield and with its brigade led the advance of the army on Manassas, July 16. Meanwhile, Gen. Tyler was appointed to command the 1st division and Col. E. D. Keyes, an experienced West Point graduate, was commissioned to command the brigade. The report of Col. Keyes on the battle of Bull Run says “The gallantry with which the 2nd regiment of Maine and the 3d regiment of Connecticut volunteers charged up the hill upon the enemy’s artillery and infantry was never in my judgment surpassed .” The command retired from the field in obedience to orders late in the afternoon, retreating in good order and maintaining its regimental formation. During the night it bivouacked on the ground it had left on the morning of the battle, then continued to Falls Church, where it, together with the other Connecticut troops, was kept busy for two days in packing, loading and saving the camp and garrison stores abandoned there by other troops. On the expiration of its term of service, it returned to Hartford , where it was mustered out on Aug. 12, 1861. A large proportion of its officers and men reënlisted in the three years’ organizations, where their previous military experience proved especially valuable. The total casualty list of the 3d was 46, made up of 4 killed, 1 missing, 10 wounded, 17 captured, and 14 discharged for disability.

From The Union Army, Vol. 1, p. 276



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: