Unknown, Co. D, 5th Maine Infantry

4 06 2020

Manassas Battle.
5th Regiment – Brunswick Company.

We have received from a correspondent an account of the late action near Manassas Junction, and as our 5th Regiment, in which is our Brunswick Company of Volunteers, were in the engagement, we give some particulars of the occurrences o the day, which may be interesting to our citizens.

Sunday morning our army under Gen. McDowell were in position, in and around Centreville, a few miles this side of Bull’s Rin, which is four miles east of Manassas Junction. The Regiment was ordered to be ready for the march at 2 o’clock A. M. The Companies were called at 1 ½ and the Regiment moved at 2 ½. The Brunswick Company paraded with 72 men besides officer, and their organization was then very perfect and every man eager for battle. – After marching about one mile the troops halted for two or three hours, until sun rise; the march was then resumed, passing Gen. Tyler’s Division, and in the direction of Bull’s Run, arrived at the position of Gen. McDowell and Stagg. The troops then rested 2 ½ hours. Soon after the halt, cannon in the distance commenced playing, and the battle began. Howard’s Brigade, and probably the whole of the third Division were ordered forward on a road leading to the right. The day had become very hot and the men began to suffer much from the thirst, heat, and fatigue, carrying each an India rubber blanket, woolen blanket, haversack, with three days rations, and forty rounds of ammunition. The road perfectly level and plains covered with woods, they could see nothing of what was transpiring in other parts of the field. Artillery was continually playing on their left. At length they commenced “double quick,” which means steady run, the men suffering much and had no water. After marching thus some six miles, the country opened, plans changing to rolling hills and slopes, and the woods to grain and grass fields. When the order to the Brunswick Company was given, “by platoon into line,” about one third had fallen out from utter exhaustion. The men formed promptly, however. After gaining the open country, although the company was very much reduced by exhaustion, they hurried forward without rest, the men crying in agony for water, but keeping their places in the ranks until they dropped. The Regiment soon met a steady stream of fugitives of every corps mixed up together, hurrying their retreat and carrying many wounded to the rear.

At this time and officer rode up in front of the Regiment, and reported that the enemy was in retreat. After giving three cheers, the Regiment rushed up a hill and fell under the fire of the enemy. One of the officers says, “I understand full well that our Division was routed, and that our Brigade was moving up to cover their retreat; but I do not suppose that the whole army is defeated.” The Regiment moved on to the battle field, and passed a long ridge under a terrible fire from the enemy’s rifles and rifled cannon, balls and shells. – After a short halt, the Regiment was reformed, and Gen. Howard gave the order, “Forward brave remnant of the 5th,” when the Regiment rushed over hills and through woods, right down in the face of the enemy. A battery of rifled cannon were playing directly on the colors of the Regiments, and rifle musket balls flew thick – not a man flinched – the Battalion marched steadily on until ordered to halt and commence firing. At this time there were in the Regiment from 150 to 200 men in the ranks. – They fired 5 or 6 rounds when they were ordered by Colonel Dunnell to retreat. – They retired in common time and re-formed in the hollow from which they started. An officer of the Company says, “I marched by the colors and rallied the Battalion on them three times. The third time I ordered the color bearers to follow me, and, assisted by Lieut. Small, took every straggler of the 5th Maine, and put them behind the colors. I soon had about 50 men whom I marched steadily on, on the left of the main road through the woods. Then occurred to me for the first time, the idea of coming off the field. I determined to bring off the colors and the remnant of the Regiment. On Sunday evening we returned to our camp of the morning, behind our reserves at Centreville. About 7 P. M. we formed and marched to Fairfax Court House, where we slept on hour, and then continued our march to this city. We arrived here safe – our men behaved nobly – fatigue killed them. Before we left the battle field, Lieut. Kenniston had given out from exhaustion, and is now missing, either killed, or wounded and a prisoner. He behaved bravely, and if he has fallen he has done so nobly. Lieut. Small has also done his duty fully. He was by my side all the time. Howard’s Brigade made the last attack, last rally, and returned in better order than most of the troops. The D. Company brought off the colors of the 5th Regiment. We went nearer Manassas Junction than any other Regiment.”

The Captain of the Brunswick Company speaks in the highest terms of his non-commissioned officers, and of the men he says, “I do not think any of the Brunswick boys are killed. They all stood fire well.” Of himself he says, “I had a fair opportunity to study the nature of the projectiles used in modern warfare.”

Brunswick (ME) Telegraph, 8/2/1861

Clipping Image

Contributed by John Hennessy



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: