14th Military History Carnival

15 05 2008

Brett Schulte of TOCWOC nominated my recent series of posts (see here, here, and here) on the Family Ties of Hugh Judson Kilpatrick for inclusion in the 14th Military History Carnival.  I see from an incoming link that he was successful and I have been included.  You can find the Carnival at Investigations of a Dog, hosted by Gavin Robinson.  Thanks to Brett and Gavin.





Hagy’s Catfish Hotel

15 05 2008

Jim Hagy, co-owner of Hagy’s Catfish Hotel, left a comment on my post about my trip to Shiloh last year (see here).  Just so there is no misunderstanding, here’s Jim’s comment and my response – the bottom line is, no Civil War field trip to Shiloh is complete without a stop at Hagy’s:

Hi Mr. Smeltzer,

I happened across your blog. Very interesting and great reading. I wanted to apologize for your experience at the Catfish Hotel in Shiloh. My sister and I are the owners.

We are looking at expanding the waiting area to create a more comfortable space for guests that are on a list for a table. I apologize as well for the rude strange gentleman who made you the target of his discontent. I find it helpful to look on the 1% percent of the population who spill their unhappiness on everyone as a reminder to appreciate the other 99% of the human race who are so great.

Please come back to visit us. We appreciate your business.

Best,

Jim Hagy

My reply:

Jim,

There seems to be an impression that I was upset with my experience at Hagy’s, and I want to correct that: I really wasn’t. I think after a long hot day in the field such as we had, any fried fish was going to taste about the same unless it was badly done, and the most important thing was cold drinks! By no means was the flat-topped fellow (an assistant high school football coach type, with pants firmly ensconced above his belly button) representative of the customers. And it was a pleasant evening so waiting on the porch was not a problem at all. A long line is a nice problem for a restaurant to have, no? As Yogi Berra once said, “Nobody goes there anymore. Too many people go there.” If I’m ever in the area again, I’m pretty sure I’ll make a return visit to Hagy’s.








Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 838 other followers